ETD's

Becker, Lawrence (beckerlr) BECKERLR@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:45:08 -0500

Mary-

Basically, what Ron Koval said:

"As to time, I think that is less dependant on the machine, and is
determined by the tech.  After working the way through the learning curve,
the tuning pretty much takes me the same amount of time as with using RCT.
Yes, I did slow down a LOT everytime I've changed machines, and even
techniques on the same machine."

What with learning a new machine, and the fact that VT produces a much
better tuning if 2 passes are used on its first time at a particular piano,
I initially added about 20 minutes to my service call time.  But now, half a
year later, still doing 2 passes on most pianos, I'm back to my 80-90
minutes comfortably; 60 minutes if I get gritty.  I'm using the VT for
private customers after I get off work at the Conservatory.

We use RCT here, and I don't think it ever added any time to my tunings over
what the SAT III took me.  These are all pianos that are tuned 3-8 times a
year, and usually take 50-60 minutes for the strictly tuning part.  And
there is often a pitch change needed, but I use the pitch-raise function for
a 1-pass.

Clear and concise...wow, thanks.

Lawrence Becker, RPT
Piano Technician