Schaff Tuning Levers - slap tuning

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:52:37 -0800

Isaac,

> Why not, but is an impact hammer manageable like a normal one also
> (for fine setting) with a good handle?

Yes.  Like any new technique/tool, it takes a bit of getting used to it.
It's all in the wrist.  Only time I will use another method is with very
jumpy pins.

> What I've find when getting used to the slap, is that I often dose
> right so one is enough, for all the medium part of the piano (I avoid
> it in the bass).

I use the impact hammer all the way through.  Once you get used to it you
can often pop it in the first time.

> How do you check the pin setting with an impact hammer ?

Gentle nudge/bump up or down with the wrist.  Very little torquing of the
pin with an impact.  Gentle push or pull to eliminate any flag-poling of the
pin.

> What model do you use ?

The adjustable one I helped Schaff develope.

Otto