piano purchase specs

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:02:30 EST

In a message dated 11/7/03 3:37:23 PM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> So I wonder if those of you in similar circumstances, but with the
> advantage of actually having spent money for new piano purchases within the
> last 20 years or so, would be willing to share whatever language you came
> up with, or inherited or whatever. And suggestions from fellow
> inexperienced folks would be welcome as well.
> Thanks,
> Fred Sturm
> University Of New Mexico

We just purchased 10 new pianos last year. We were bound and determined to
get Boston pianos and a D. To do that, we had to fill out the paper work, and
documentation for what they call "Sole Source Purchase Request." It can get very
detailed, but if all the information is given, it will reduce the pianos on
your wish list to the ones you like. Ask if they have something like that,
provided you want to pick out only one brand of instrument.

If you are not limited to one brand, then get the specifics on the
instruments you do want to purchase. If you want to choose between Yamaha, Kawai, and
Young Chang, for instance, get the specifics, including price, model, size,
etc., for each one, and ask for bids on those instruments.

Then, we have one more phrase on the bid sheet, that might help:

"Each item quoted will be evaluated by qualified professional School of Music
faculty/pianist and the evaluation will include, but will not be limited to,
size of tone, quality of tone, controllability of intensity of after touch,
sensitivity of pedal mechanism, physical and aural evenness of registers and
apparent mechanical integrity and reliability."

"Items that do not meet specification or fail to perform properly, as solely
determined by the University of Alabama will be rejected."

This more or less says it is not just the objective characteristics of each
instrument that is important, but also the subjective characteristics. In other
words, how does the instrument feel and sound? That is something that cannot
be described on paper.

We almost had an easy time, until one of the dealers who didn't get the bid,
decided to threaten law suit. So the legal department had to get involved, and
every time we thought we had answered all the questions, they came up with
more questions. Let hope you don't have to go through that.

Good luck

Wim
University of Alabama