piano purchase specs

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:41:44 -0700

Hi all,
	I am in the utterly unfamiliar situation of needing to begin purchasing
new instruments within the next few months. The powers that be in the
anonymous "up there somewhere" of bureaucracy have approved a course fee
for all music courses, with proceeds specifically targeted at piano
replacement and rebuilding/maintenance.
	I work for a state university. Thus, all purchasing must comply with state
law. IOW, it must go out to bid. It is of utmost importance to set out
standards carefully, and to devise careful language to guide the selection
process. (We are not constrained to accept the lowest bid, but must state
clearly the criteria on the basis of which a decision will be made).
	So I wonder if those of you in similar circumstances, but with the
advantage of actually having spent money for new piano purchases within the
last 20 years or so, would be willing to share whatever language you came
up with, or inherited or whatever. And suggestions from fellow
inexperienced folks would be welcome as well.
Thanks,
Fred Sturm
University Of New Mexico