[Experts] Steinway New York vs Hamburg

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:02:34 -0500

I agree with Mary's assessment (bottom posted). Okay, I might change her
'growl' to 'bark', and 'crystalline' to 'pristine', but that's just word
semantics -- meaning that Mary and I might internalize our sentiments the
same way during any comparisons. I think this phenomenon lies in the area
of attack and/or tonal rise time, sustain and carry characteristics,
something that could probably be plotted by someone who's into this type of
thing and with $$$ equipment.

Regardless of word choices, if this is at all true, it can reasonably be
expected that one or the other instrument would be preferred (not better)
for a given venue. While a solo performer might personally prefer the NY,
the Hamburg could easily be recommended for an all-around, mixed venue
choice in a house where solo artists are followed by the orchestra, opera,
and/or singer accompaniment roles, and where only one piano is available.

And, while it's just gut feeling, the Hamburg seems more out-the-door
finished -- more like 75% for the NY versus 90% for the Hamburg, and I
don't mean the paint!

Take all this with huge grains of salt, 'cuz here in the sticks my exposure
to either as -new- products is quite limited.

Jim Harvey