European durability

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:44:05 +0100

Depends.... on how well you treat the things.

It seems to be that European instruments are built very often for the dry
side of the climate picture. I hear this nearly everytime I put the
question to one of these builders as I meet them at various conventions or
seminars. Soundboards are very often compression crowned evidently, and
they dry them out quite a bit justifiying the process by the need to handle
dry and cold winters without cracking up.

So obviously, if you are going to import one of these and put it in Plum
Ridge Florida, then you are probably going to have a problem.

That being said... keep the climate under control, and purchase one of the
premier European makes.... and you should be fine for many years to come.

Cheers
RicB