piano purchase specs

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:06:35 -0700

	I got a couple response off list, and also asked my chair to post it to a
listserv of state music dept/school chairs. Here are a few interesting

1) In the same kind of situation, I have been successful in approaching
the powers-that-be and pleading the case that instruments like this are
unique and need to be auditioned individually, rather than bought by
lowest-price methods.  After deciding on the best instrument, we've
then been able to show that the price is within a generally competitive
range, and this has satisfied the purchasing department.

2) we just did...we managed to receive a waiver, after talking to the chief
purchasing officer of the school  i would recommend trying this route
above others, since you do NOT want to have to purchase a piano you don't
like, from a dealer you don't know, on such a long-term capital
investment.

3) For the uprights we used the fact that the models of uprights mentioned
were
highly rated in The Piano Book (this is probably still in your office).
Since the specs for pianos, including some that sound pretty lousy, look
pretty much the same on paper, this book, put together by a piano
technician, is a godsend. I think we would have had to take a better model
that came in at the same price, but no one was giving away Steinway
uprights!

For the Steinway baby grand, on the other hand, I did a sole source
justification that mentioned, among other things, that the students would be
giving their final recitals on Steinways.

4) The Department of Music wishes to purchase several new pianos.  We are
asking that only Steinway instruments be considered for purchase (this
includes Boston pianos that are made by Steinway).  Whereas our reasons,
which include the quality and characteristics of the resonance of the sound
and durability of Steinway products, are somewhat subjective, there are
other factors that we believe justify only considering these instruments.

Currently the Department of Music has different brands of pianos on our
inventory including several Steinway instruments.  We believe that it would
be beneficial for us to move into the practice of purchasing only one brand
of piano.  This would allow us to build consistency in our inventory and
provide the following benefits:

... Having all Steinway instruments eliminates the problems that our
faculty and students currently experience changing between different brands
of instruments when they go form room to room.  For example, Clive
Swansbourne (one of our piano faculty members) regularly has to perform
and/or teach on several different brands of pianos.  He has a Steinway
instrument in his office.  He plays concerts in the Recital Hall, which has
a Yamaha instrument, and also in Killinger Auditorium, which has a
Bosendorfer instrument.  When he has studio classes in Room 326, he must
use a Kawai instrument.  His students play all of these instruments as well
as the Baldwin instrument in our piano practice room.  Each of these five
brands of instruments have their own peculiarities and having to regularly
change between them is disconcerting at best and even harmful at the very
worst.  The weight of the action (key movement) of each instrument is quite
different and if the performer anticipates having to press the keys
aggressively on one instrument they can be (and have been) injured when
playing an instrument with a much lighter key response.  Additionally,
producing an artistic sound on each instrument is markedly different.
Anticipating the tonal response, volume, pedaling colors, and lasting
resonance is a big part of artistic performance.  By purchasing one brand
of piano, we create the best opportunity possible to have the necessary
consistency from instrument to instrument.
... By having all Steinway instruments, we will undoubtedly save money on
maintenance and repair.  Just as Southwest Airlines saves money by only
operating Boeing 737 aircraft the same concept applies to pianos.  Having
to access certified technicians for different brands of instruments is not
optimal.  Dealing with one manufacturer is more efficient and allows us to
better plan our piano maintenance budget.
... Moving to all the same brand pianos will allow us to make better
strategic plans for the scheduled repair and replacement of instruments.
The different brands require replacement and major maintenance at different
intervals of time.  It has been almost impossible to make insightful plans
with regard to budgets because we have found that instruments other than
Steinway are much less predictable as to when they need attention.  Being
able to plan strategically will help us save money and allow the department
to insure optimal instrument quality for our students, faculty, and guest
performers.

(There were a couple other "Steinway sole source" ones as well, in
connection with becoming "All-Steinway schools.")

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico