Hexagonal Hammer Shanks

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:15:13 -0600

>Yes. Ron's measure of stiffness of an elastic beam is the flexural
>rigidity EI where E is Young's modulus and I is the moment of inertia of
>the beam about the neutral axis (through the centroid of the cross
>section). That's where the moment of  inertia comes into it - and those
>values are tabulated for beams of various cross sections, e.g. standard
>steel structural beam of various cross-sectional shapes. A loaded elastic
>beam will take on a curvature according to its flexural rigidity.

Correct. It was as simple and straightforward a response to a simple and
straightforward observation as I could produce. It wasn't general, it was
specific. It wasn't complicated, it was simple. It had nothing to do with
the inertial interactions in a piano action, just with a stiffness to mass
ratio of different cross sections made of the same material - which I
thought I had explained.

Ron N