Hexagonal Hammer Shanks

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:34:36 -0500

Ric rit:
>Jim...and others may correct me where I am wrong here.... but I THINK
>that Ron was getting at the more general question of what shape of a
>shank yields the most stiffness for same << diameters >>
>I dont really see the point in using inertia in this regard myself... I
>fail to see the connection between a things moment of inertia, and its
>stiffness... Besides there are formulas to do show stiffness for
>different shapes rather directly unless I'm mistaken.

Yes. Ron's measure of stiffness of an elastic beam is the flexural
rigidity EI where E is Young's modulus and I is the moment of inertia
of the beam about the neutral axis (through the centroid of the cross
section). That's where the moment of  inertia comes into it - and
those values are tabulated for beams of various cross sections, e.g.
standard steel structural beam of various cross-sectional shapes. A
loaded elastic beam will take on a curvature according to its
flexural rigidity.

Hard to describe this stuff without sounding obscene methinks....

Stephen

--
Dr Stephen Birkett
Associate Professor