Hexagonal Shanks

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 02:48:57 -0500

Ric rit:

>No argument as far as I am concerned, I'm simply following along and
>posted a couple querries and a comment or two...to whit I am anxiously
>awaiting hearing a bit of obsceneties from Stephen in clarifacation :):)

Hmm. Not much more I can say to add to the previous obscenities. Just
that, all things being equal in material props (E), your stiffness
will be proportional to moment of inertia of the cross-section. There
are formulas for calculating the curvature according to applied load
and its distribution, once you have EI.  For comparisons of shanks of
similar wood the I is a good indication of stiffness.

Now, whether we want them stiff or a bit limp, that's a 'nuther
question altogether.

Bit more in a mo'

Stephen
--