Hammer Shanks

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 03:16:24 -0500

>Gentlemen, and Ladies too, if any of you are following this discussion
>among us fellows:

Jim,

Interesting data you sent. Thanks.

>The results speak for
>themselves.  If we are interested in stiffness - vs - weight, the round
>tapered shank is definitely superior to the non-tapered octagonal shaft.

It's not clear to me wny that would necessarily be desirable for a
hammer shank. Stiffness control, for sure, but the weight really
doesn't contribute much per se, given the mass of the hammer head
hung out at the end of it. On the other hand, stiffness increases
roughly as the fourth power of radius (with tinkering for geometry of
the cross section), since moment of inertia does, and that factor
includes the effect of the square of the radius on mass already.

>Little is gained by the octagonal shape

Unfortunately a comparison is difficult with the shanks you tested,
due to the added complication of the taper on the round shank. That
will certainly make a huge difference as you noticed, regardless of
the "octagonality" question.

>, and much stiffness is lost by not
>having a larger cross section near the knuckle.  We are dealing here with a
>lever, not a structural beam.

It is actually a beam acting in the capacity of a lever. Beams are
not necessarily supported at two ends like a floor board. There are
cantilever beams that are clamped at one end, and over-hanging beams
supported at some intermediate point. Beam theory is applicable to a
hammer shank. The lever aspect just provides the input loading which
is to be applied to the shank (beam).

>Whatever you might or might not say about
>Steinway, New York, they obviously have the right idea here.  The shank is
>stiff where it needs to be stiff, and light where it needs to be light.
>That design make good sense to me.

That's a different question. It depends on the objective. The thin
shank people would not agree that stiffness is the desirable factor.
We can certainly conclude that Steinway shanks are stiffer, based on
your observations, and I agree it's due to the tapering. Stiffness
changes pretty sharply as you increase the "radius". When comparing
round and octagon we need to agree on the relative sizes to make sure
it's apples and apples. Say the circular section is converted into an
octagon, so the points are at the same radius as the original circle.
To get the same stiffness from the octagon you'd need only to
increase the radius by 5%, which isn't very much. Or, looking at it
another way, taking a circular non-tapered shank and reducing it to
an octagon section reduces the stiffness by about a not insignificant
15%. Small changes to shank cross-section can have dramatic effects
on stiffness, with observable changes to tone, hence the shank-wars
that surface from time to time.

Ever talked to a fly rod maker about cross-section? We piano makers
are tame in that company.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett