maintenance budgets, was Re: Universities

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:03:55 EST

In a message dated 11/24/03 1:55:44 PM Central Standard Time,
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu writes:
Our university is probably
fairly typical - little or no money to take care of and maintain our capital
investments (OK, so why is it that there is money to build yet another
building?).
Money for buildings is usually allocated by the legislature through separate
taxes or bond issues. I'm not sure how it works in other states, but back in
Missouri, at least on the local level, building buildings, or upgrading and/or
repairing them, was paid for by bonds which were paid off separately. Sales
and/or property tax was used for general education.

But this issue of equipment maintenance brings up an other question. Does any
one have knowledge of, or experience with, how other departments get money
for the upkeep of their multi million dollar equipment. I'm sure the biology, or
physics, or business schools, have equipment that needs constant attention.
Do these departments have trouble getting and keeping repair people, and the
money for parts, to take care of this equipment?

Wim