Spectrum analyzers

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:06:29 -0700

List,

Can anyone enlighten me as to how one can effectively use the spectrum
analyzers on the Verituner and/or the RCT in voicing? The numbers are
interesting, but is there any useful information that would help make
them more useful?

We have 7 different spectrum analyzers here at BYU. One of them has over
50 channels and a $100,000.00 price tag. We are pursuing some studies
(student projects) which may be helpful to piano technicians. I've
contacted Chris Robinson and Rick Baldassin about the studies they did
several years ago and they both told me their work was interesting but
wasn't that extensive.

If anyone knows of some studies done that we could obtain I would
greatly appreciate it. BTW, I still use conventional voicing techniques,
but would like to explore new frontiers! Who knows, new science might be
able to "prove" something. (Or maybe not...)

To Jim Ellis: You made some good points about microphone placement, etc.
in such studies. This website; www.quarktet.com/ has a "new" technology
which uses lasers and can pick up the sound wave w/o the use of
microphones. (Or at least that is what I understood from one of our
professors.) Are you familiar with this, and do you think it would
eliminate that variable? With the price tag I don't know if BYU will be
able to afford it, but they are looking at it.

Thanks
Jim Busby BYU