Customer Relations

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:05:32 -0600 (CST)

Our department secretary forwarded a request for private tuning in his
home recently. Here is the meat of our email exchange:

ME: I received your email from the music department. What kind of piano do
you own? Do you need a tuning only, or more extensive work? I do some
outside tuning, so let me know what you need.

HIM: The piano is a small upright, I think I've heard it called a spinnet
or something, but I'm not familiar with piano lingo. I believe the brand
is Acrosonic by Baldwin. It's fairly old, been in the family for a while
and just arrived at my house. As far as I can tell it only needs tuning. I
just learned that it's best to let the piano sit for a month and acclimate
before tuning it, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not?

ME: Sounds fine. How about a tuning in a few weeks at x time and x date?

HIM: How about giving me a price and some references I can call first?

[I gave this quite a bit of thought and came up with the following]

ME: I assumed you had been referred to me. I do private tuning by referral
only. Sorry for the confusion.

END OF THE STORY!