Hearing Distortion

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:57:38 -0500

Ed,

I'm sending this directly to you, and copying it to the list.  What you are
experiencing is called "diplacusis", if I spelled it right.  Yes, I have
had that problem too, off and on at times in the past.  Now, it is
permanent, as of about three years ago.

In your case, it seems associated with the cold.  Do see an ENT soon.  If
the earache persists, see a doctor NOW.  The diplacusis suggests that an
infection has gotten into the inner ear.  If it's a virus, your body will
fight it off.  If it's bacterial, you need an antibiotic NOW.  Don't mess
around with this.

In my previous cases, the problem was associated with a cold, and soon went
away.  This last time, the one that's permanent, I just woke up one
morning, and there it was.  It is associated with a low-frequency humming
tinnitis, about 120 Hz, more or less, and the humming is at the center of
the subjective offset in pitch, left-to-right.  The pitch offset goes all
the way from about 80 Hz to 500 Hz, and A440 right ear sounds like G# left
ear - very annoying.

I have been to some of the best ENT doctors in Tennessee, including
Vanderbilt in Nashville, and had MRI scans looking for tumors, and all
that.  Results = Negative.  It's neurological - inner ear - not middle or
outer ear.  I'm just stuck with it for the rest of my life, and I have
learned to put up with it.

Our ears are much more than just biological microphones.  They are also
built-in spectrum analyzers.  When an infection or some injury gets to the
inner ear - the nerves, it throws the pitch perception off.  You may notice
that the offset is not the same over the whole range, but concentrated
around one particular pitch.

By all means see an ENT doctor ASAP.  If you still have the earache, see a
doctor NOW, even if it means going to the E.R. on Thanksgiving day.  Don't
mess around with this.  Nothing you can apply from the outside is going to
help very much.  Your ears are valuable to you.  Let me know how you do.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis