Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:26:49 -0700

Good thoughts, Fred.

I tested Steinway's procedure for action center bushing / pin
installation and fitting when I did a fairly thorough test of procedures
in the 90s.  I bought the same cloth, the heat activated glue, and I
installed and fit them according to the New York factory's procedure, as
outlined to me by someone from the company.  I did not test it with the
Teflon treatment.  These parts all froze up in testing, unless I changed
their procedure to include a final burnishing step.  With the burnishing
they tightened up slightly during torture testing, if I remember
correctly the friction increased an average of 3 grams.

I know that Abel and Kawai burnish the bushings, I don't know about
other companies.  Kawai has a machine to do it, of course.  I think that
Renner does also, but I don't know that for sure.

I hadn't heard that the Emralon treatment actually helps the fit of the
bushing, only that it lowers the friction, allowing a tighter bushing
fit.  It could be that there is some water in the mixture that helps
size the cloth further, or the emralon could harden the cloth some.  In
the 80s I was shown a microscope photo which showed that after the
emralon treatment there were lots of small hunks of Teflon adhering to
the wool fibers, but there was not enough to look like it was filling up
the spaces between the fibers sufficient to change the bushing density.
It might stiffen the fibers up, though, which would make the bushing
seem more firm.  I really should try to get some of the liquid and do
some testing some day.

Don Mannino