Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:40:38 -0700

Hi,

At 07:55 PM 10/8/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>>Hi Fred,
>
>                  4gms of friction seems to be the optimum for tone
> production, as it keeps the knuckle firmly in contact with the
> balancier.   I usually demonstrate the effects of friction in my Prelude
> to Voicing classes.   There is usually a lot of slack jawed experienced
> techs, at the end of the demonstration.
>
>Regards Roger.

There is an exceptional example of the effects what I think Roger
demonstrates on CD 1 of the Brahms works for solo piano, recorded by Julius
Katchen, released (most recently) on London as 430.053-2.

In the exposition of the Theme of the Variations and Fugue on a Theme by
Handel, Op. 24, one can hear two notes that are pinned just sufficiently
loosely that the tone loses focus from time to time.  At some dynamics, the
notes are quite clear; at others, there is an unmistakable lack of
precision (for lack of a better term) in the initial attack envelope of the
sound.  Under those certain conditions, the notes in question stand out in
stark relief to their neighbors on an otherwise marvelously prepared and
recorded instrument.  (Nope, no perfect pitch, and I've never taken the
time to track them down with a score.)

There are numerous other examples.  This one happens to stand out because
of the clarity of contrast between immediately adjacent notes.  In many
other recordings the quality of the sound is so garbled that it is more
difficult to discern exactly what might be going on.

This set of Katchen recordings happens to have been done on a Bluthner.  To
hear the same kind of symptom on an S&S, you'll need to look for recordings
made between (roughly) 1960 and 1980 (or so).  The reason for this is that,
prior to 1960, recording engineers generally more interested in what a
piano actually sounded like out in a concert hall than under the lid; so,
these kinds of issues were not picked up as readily (speaks to other
voicing issues, but that is another treatise).  By 1980 and after, S&S had
started divesting itself of the older, more recorded C&A stock; and the
newer instruments had other problems (relatively speaking) which, in
concert with the gradual shift to the mike-on-the-string school of
recording, made diagnosis more difficult  (also another treatise).  That
being said, look for later recordings by (sadly) Rudolf Serkin (later
Beethoven sonatas), some middle Ashkenazy, much of the Beaux Arts Trio (no
fault of Menachem Pressler) from that period...a few others, but those are
the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Another interesting example would also be the Boesendorfer used by Oscar
Peterson on the Tracks album.  For some reason, the problems are more
audible on the original vinyl than on the CD - I suspect too much digital
clean up work during "remastering", the piano also is not as
"present"...this latter is interesting, particularly since Peterson himself
told me that the recording was made using 8 U-87 Neumann microphones fed
directly into a Studer 8 track console and immediately to a 1" Studer 8
track recorder, with the mix done directly from there to the stereo master,
also on a Studer 1" machine - no equalization used at any point in the
chain on the original recording.  On the vinyl , the piano simply leaps out
of the speakers - as if it were in the room with you.  On the CD, there is
a noticeable "sound stage", and resultant distance, present....sigh.

Horace