Pinning and Tone

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:47:27 -0700

Isaac,
=20
Your comments are usually heard from people who have somewhat limited =
experience with ABS material.  This is common in Europe, where the ABS =
actions have not been used as widely and for as long a time.   You are =
entitled to your opinions, of course, but the ABS action parts have been =
widely used for many, many years now, and they have proven themselves =
very well.  Actually, it seems strange that you brought up ABS parts - =
this topic was about pinning friction, and you have steered it in a new =
direction.  I'm always happy for the opportunity to respond regarding =
Kawai products, though!
=20
ABS Birds-eyes will most definitely not become oval any easier than in =
wood parts.  The parts have been very thoroughly tested to be at least =
as strong as wood, even after 30 years.  In my 24 years working on =
pianos, both at Kawai and before, I have never seen any oval birds-eyes =
in ABS parts except for one upright piano where someone in a school =
reached in and broke hammers off.  What you have seen must have been an =
aberration, or was in a piano which was subject to some kind of abuse.   =
I have experienced oval birds-eyes in wood parts before, besides split =
wood birds eyes and deformed wood flanges pinching the hammer butts =
after years of humidity fluctuations.  The ABS material is quite =
resilient, and has to be treated very brutally to become deformed.
=20
Your comments regarding tone do not fit with the sound of the Shigeru =
Kawai pianos at all.  Our Shigeru Kawai concert grands have truly =
wonderful tone, and are becoming sought after by classical artists - and =
none have complained about it having the full ABS action!  Many are very =
surprised when we tell them the action is made of 'plastic.'  If you =
have experienced a "thump" tone, then you might consider other factors =
besides just the ABS.  If you investigate the piano further I am =
confident you would find another explanation.
=20
The grand hammer shank (which contains the cloth bushing) is made from =
wood in all Kawai actions, so your comments regarding the bushing change =
does not apply to grand hammer shanks, the topic of my post.  In other =
words, the ABS flanges have no affect at all on the play in the pinning, =
contrary to your statement.  My comments regarding loose pinning in dry =
climates applied to many well made actions - I have experienced it in =
Yamaha and Renner actions as well as Kawai, and others on the list have =
said this in the past.  The parts can be slightly low in friction in dry =
conditions because these companies are ensuring free movement and =
acceptable friction in even the most humid climates.
=20
In upright pianos the hammer butt flange is ABS, but there has been no =
verification of a difference in the flange friction as the bushing and =
flange assembly react to humidity.  I used to think that the wood was =
better than plastic in this regard myself, but have been unable to =
verify that wood flanges and ABS flanges give a measurably different =
range of friction in varying humidity conditions.  In my testing (using =
upright hammer butt flanges, wood and plastic, both rebushed with the =
same cloth and procedures and measured over a period of a year in all =
different environmental conditions) the results were inconclusive.
=20
Isaac, I respect your right to an opinion based on your experiences, but =
I do not think that your findings are common.  Try to keep an open mind =
as to whether your circumstances might have been unusual, and also to =
Kawai's efforts to keep development of the modern piano moving forward.  =
The piano industry needs innovation with new designs and materials, and =
this type of objection to Kawai's ABS actions is typically a reflection =
of piano peoples' resistance to change.
=20
Don Mannino RPT
=20