Steinway double-bushed damper guide rail?

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:48:59 -0600

Hi John,

Varying degrees of success indeed! The last thing I tried, which
seemed to work well, is this:

1) Use good-quality flange bushing cloth, ripped to width, to be your
"outer" layer.

2) Find a thin (e.g., nameboard felt) felt to be the inner layer, and
cut it to proper width. No edges should overlap when this cloth/felt
is pulled through the hole in the d.g.r. Test fit dry.

3) Tack the felt to the cloth with a very scant trail of glue between
the two layers (do this with cloth flat, out of the hole). You will
want to "convince" the layered material to curve (as it will have to
later, in the d.g.r.) as the glue dries. Don't use too much glue
here, to avoid clicking later on. Make enough of these strips to do
both rails.

4) Once this is dry, bush the guide rail, using a small amount of
white glue to tack it into place, to avoid the unhappy pop-out
scenario. But again, I like to use scant amounts of glue here, just
to guard against clicking.

Good luck!

Mary Smith
University of Texas at Austin