Steinway double layer bushing cloth

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:53:49 -0600

I've been reading this thread on the Steinway double bushing=
 damper rail bushings.  I really dislike them.  The last piano I=
 rebuilt was a 1912 "B" that had the double bushings.  I decided=
 to drill out the holes to a standard size, then plug them and=
 drill the holes for the single bushings.  By the time I drilled=
 the third hole, the rail split badly.  I ordered some new damper=
 guide rails from Steinway.  I think they were fairly cheap (for=
 Steinway) but I don't remember the actual cost.  I ordered them=
 unbored and got to drill the holes placed right for that piano. =
 When I finished I decided that replacing the rails was an easier=
 job than fiddling with the double bushings.

One other thing about damper guide rail bushings:  I've been=
 using Steinway's precut bushing cloth for them and it fits very=
 well (as you might expect).  I don't ever glue them in and I=
 haven't had any trouble with their falling out.  That also makes=
 it MUCH easier when you go to replace them.  Have I just been=
 lucky?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts