S&S D Soundboard removal

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:13:35 +1100

>Hello folks,
>
>I've got to remove the soundboard from a '60s Steinway D. It's really in
>there good. Anyone have any tricks? Need it one piece so I can send it to
>Bolduc for duplication.
>
>I've removed lots of boards from Steinways from the '40s and earlier, but
>the glue used for this one is much tougher! What is it, and what will
>release it?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

Scott,

We recently removed a 1962 Hamburg D board, and we wanted it intact
to use the original as a template for the vacuum press. They used
hide glue in the example we stripped, but it was good quality stuff.

If you remove the vertical glue joint between the panel and the outer
rim (chisel it out), it should come out reasonably easy. Glue joints
are always stronger in sheer, so once the vertical joint is taken out
of the strength equation, it should be pretty easy to work your way
around the bent side from underneath with a suitably shaped wooden
drift.

To keep a reference of where the outer rim is relative to the board
(before taking to it with a chisel) you can scribe a line around the
board out say 20 mm from the edge, using dividers (I hope that term
makes sense to you).

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY