Capo bars - Del's Article and then some

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:49:12 -0500

Garret & others,

The recent discussion titled "Capo bars", which extended from 1/28 to 2/02,
was attempting to address both etymology and consistency of
nomenclature.  Of the first I have nothing to add, however, looking into
the second proved illuminating.

At 04:11 PM 1/31/2004 -0500, Garret wrote:
>Del wrote: There is a drawing in one of my PT Journal articles
>illustrating what I mean.
>
>Does someone know off hand what PT Journal issue that was?
>
>Garret

You may have already found this information, but I don't see that anyone
replied to your request on list.  I believe the article Del was referring
to was in the August 1995 issue, titled "The Designer's Notebook-- Front
Duplex Stringing Scales".  This was a second installment, the first having
appeared in the June issue, and both being in response to a round-table
discussion regarding capo d'astros which appeared in the February 1995 issue.

There seems to be some confusion regarding the term capo d'astro and capo
tastro.  I hadn't previously come across capo tastro,
and, in any case, the element seems most often simply referred to as "capo
bar".

>Delwin D Fandrich <fandrich@pianobuilders.com> wrote:
>The capo tastro bar and the V-bar are two different things even if they
>are most often part of the same casting. The capo-tastro bar is formed in
>the bottom part of the mold, the V-bar in the top.

Vince Myrkalo then asked:

>Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 17:47:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: madelyn mrykalo <madvinmryk@yahoo.com>
>Subject: RE: Capo bars
>
>Is there a difference between capo tastro and capo d'astro?

and Del (I think) sent the following:

>Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 08:25:13 -0800
>From: Delwin D Fandrich <fandrich@pianobuilders.com>
>Subject: RE: Capo bars

>According to Giraffes, Black Dragons, and Other Pianos by Edwin M. Good
>(Second Edition, 2001. Published by the Stanford University Press, ), capo
>d' astro is essentially a meaningless term (at least as applied to the
>piano) meaning "cap of the star." In other words it was a marketing term.
>Capo tastro is Italian for "cap of the key" which at least has some
>relationship to a component of the piano. Probably a more meaningful term
>would be "capotasto," also from Italian, meaning "head of the
>fingerboard." (According to the Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary.)

I found the Steinway patent # 170,646 (C.F. Theodore Steinway - October 20,
1875) titled "Improvement in Agraffes For Piano-Fortes" relevantly
interesting in this matter.  It's actually a patent for individual
capodastro.   These were like large brass machine thread screws which were
installed from beneath into what Steinway referred to simply as a
transverse bar.  The wide slot in the head of this screw then received
a  round steel "face", which was hammered into place,  He claimed this
modification "reduced the width of the bearing surfaces of the capodastros
... and at the same time the strings are prevented from wearing into the
faces of the capodastros."   It  seems that he was referring to the
capodastro as the member that would normally be contacting the strings,
like the V bar.  Does anyone know whether any pianos were actually produced
with this feature?

David Skolnik