Capo, wippen, virginal

Edward Swenson swensone@ithaca.edu
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:27:14 -0500

Thanks to Fred Sturm for his comments on the capo tasto.  I was planning to
respond, but he beat me to it.  =B3Tastro=B2 is not an Italian word, according
to my Italian wife, who is a native speaker.  Wippen derives from the Germa=
noun wippen, meaning to rock or move up and down.  A virginal is a spinet
which has never been played.
--=20
Edward E. Swenson
Ithaca College School of Music