piano purchase and other...

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:06:12 -0700

Hi Garret,
	The spreadsheet is pretty simple. Includes columns for
1 Vendor (=store submitting bid)
2 Manufacturer
3 model (with size parenthetically)
4 size category (we were selecting from "small" "medium" and "large" - this
for sorting)
5 serial number
6 - 8 a "quality" rating column for each evaluator (where you enter the
evaluation number of that evaluator for each piano)
9 average rating (adds the figure in each of the previous rating columns -
for that row - divides by 3 in my case, with three evaluators)
10 "x 0.6" (takes that average rating and multiples by 0.6, because we said
quality would be 60% of the decision)
11 price (raw number)
12 Price rating (from a table I created, with $500 range for each rating
number)
13 "x 0.4" (multiplying that rating by 0.4, because we said price would
determine 40% of the decision)
14 compiled rating (adds columns 9 and 12)
	I'm no great shakes at spread sheets, so I just entered formulas in each
cell that was calculating. Eg, for  column 9, =sum(F2:H2)/3 (and next row,
=sum(F3:H3)/3, and so on down). Column 10 is 0.6*I2 (0.6*I3, etc).  Column
13 is 0.4*L2. Column 14 is J2+M2. Took a while to enter those formulas, but
then it was a simple matter to enter the ratings, and sort on the
appropriate columns (13 and 4), which left them ranked in order in each
size category.
	With respect to Guidelines, I lied ;)  Endorsements are still being
accepted, but not for too much longer. We decided to do a mailing to those
who responded to the "survey" on the back of the dues form (ie, those who
identified themselves as cauts), soliciting endorsements and doing a
newletter at the same time. So the deadline got pushed back. (We're also
awaiting decisions from Steinway and Yamaha to join Kawai in providing
company endorsements, something which is taking time, but I think will
happen). We do plan to have a printed, published, final document by
Nashville "Y'all come!" time.
	I'll post a list of current endorsers in a bit. So far we're at 68. If you
want to add your name (not you, personally, Garret - I have you down), just
email me your name and institution name to fssturm@unm.edu.
Regards,
Fred Sturm

--On Saturday, February 21, 2004 2:13 PM -0500 "Garret E. Traylor"