hammer shank length

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:08:20 EST

In a message dated 2/19/2004 6:26:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
llafargue@charter.net writes:
5=E2=80=9D to 5 1/8=E2=80=9D =20
If the hammer is mounted much longer than 5 1/8=E2=80=9D, touch gets heavy,=20=
if=20
shorter than 4 7/8=E2=80=9D, you get regulation problems and reduces leverag=
e.  Also, tails=20
may hit whippen flanges when hammer comes to rest. =20
=20
I just worked on a 2001 M&H BB and the hammer line was so off, if you pushed=
=20
the action in for proper strike @ C8 the back checks interfere with sostenut=
o=20
and under levers, no matter what.  The piano is also breaking strings at the=
 V=20
bar and I suspect the hammer line has something to do with it.  Regards,
=20
Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
llafargue@charter.net
           Lance
   In that case I see nothing wrong with using a motortool drum sander to=20
hollow out the back of the backcheck. Some new backcheck replacement I've us=
ed=20
for stwy's have this featire which is helpful when installing modern type ba=
ck=20
action In an old stwy with minimal clearances. This might give you enough ro=
om=20
to move the action to its proper location. What do you think?
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations=20
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357