hammer shank length

llafargue llafargue@charter.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:50:10 -0600

I agree, it's just hard to see what's going on back there and I think
ideally the hammers would be rehung, especially if it's also
contributing to string breakage.  I'll study it closer to see if I can
tell exactly what's hitting back there.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
llafargue@charter.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 9:08 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: hammer shank length

In a message dated 2/19/2004 6:26:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
llafargue@charter.net writes:
5" to 5 1/8"
If the hammer is mounted much longer than 5 1/8", touch gets heavy, if
shorter than 4 7/8", you get regulation problems and reduces leverage.
Also, tails may hit whippen flanges when hammer comes to rest.

I just worked on a 2001 M&H BB and the hammer line was so off, if you
pushed the action in for proper strike @ C8 the back checks interfere
with sostenuto and under levers, no matter what.  The piano is also
breaking strings at the V bar and I suspect the hammer line has
something to do with it.  Regards,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
llafargue@charter.net
           Lance
   In that case I see nothing wrong with using a motortool drum sander
to hollow out the back of the backcheck. Some new backcheck replacement
I've used for stwy's have this featire which is helpful when installing
modern type back action In an old stwy with minimal clearances. This
might give you enough room to move the action to its proper location.
What do you think?
   Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.