sawing off hammershank tails

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:57:08 EST

I used to saw off the ends of shanks with a Dremel saw. But Dremel
discontinued making them. (I guess too many people trying to stop the saw with their
fingers, and suing Dremel because it cut off their fingers.)

For a while I was taking the hammers and shanks off, and trimming the tails
with a band saw. But lately I've been using a Heavy Duty Cutt-Off Wheel, no.
420 from Dremel. I just did a set,  and it worked OK, except that it burns the
wood, which creates a bad smell, and I used 6 wheels.

Does anyone else have a way to trim the tails, other than using a band saw?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music