sawing off hammershank tails

Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:35:40 +0100

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> I used to saw off the ends of shanks with a Dremel saw. But Dremel
> discontinued making them. (I guess too many people trying to stop the
> saw with their fingers, and suing Dremel because it cut off their fingers.)
>
> For a while I was taking the hammers and shanks off, and trimming the
> tails with a band saw. But lately I've been using a Heavy Duty Cutt-Off
> Wheel, no. 420 from Dremel. I just did a set,  and it worked OK, except
> that it burns the wood, which creates a bad smell, and I used 6 wheels.
>
> Does anyone else have a way to trim the tails, other than using a band saw?

I use an upside down mounted circular sabre saw... mounted in a jig that
more or less turns it into a mini table saw. David Stanwood made it for
me while he was here... origionally it was contrived for making the most
even slice possible for taking off whippen heels that were to be
repositioned. Works great.. I can take picture of it if you like.

Thanks David.. btw :)

Cheers
RIcB