Time & Chaos (was RE: Client database)

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:19:04 -0800

One addition to this post...sorry
Quote:  "On the day of that appt.,I will sync with my Palm and=
 all Mr. Jones info is available in shirt pocket.  T & C syncs=
 with Pocket PC so you could conceivably also have a tuning=
 device in your shirt pocket if you have a Pocket PC!.  I use the=
 Palm for time of appt., directions and entering service info at=
 the time of the appt.  I typically get a check when finished.  I=
 don't give a receipt unless asked and use a generic receipt pad=
 when necessary.  One less thing to do and unnecessary except=
 with customers I bill such as hotels, restaurants".   I invoice=
 from Quickbooks at the beginning of the day whenever I'm leaving=
 a bill with a commerical account.

From: David Ilvedson <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: Time & Chaos (was RE: Client database)

Avery,
I believe you can use the program at work and home...
The HOLY GRAIL is ONE program that is a customer database,=
 scheduler and financial accounting program.  It doesn't exist=
 and if it did it would be a huge unwiedly program.  I will say,=
 that Quickbooks now has a Customer Manager program which does=
 link to Quickbooks but it doesn't come close to Time & Chaos as=
 a customer database/schduler especially in ease of use.  It is=
 something to check though and it might work for you.
Once you can get over the hurdle of not having all this stuff in=
 one program you can get on with your life.  I have!  You also=
 have be realistic about what is REALLY necessary in day to day=
 customer relations.  I think many folks want an elaborate system=
 of keeping track of every iota of info on a customer.  As the=
 years go by you come to the realization that 90% of that info is=
 never looked at again.  Why keep it in the first place? =
 KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid.
I use Quickbooks for all accounting work.  I use Time & Chaos for=
 my customer database and scheduling.  Here is my problem with $=
 and my database program.  None of the database programs can do=
 what Quickbooks can do with my financial information.  They can=
 keep track of money coming in and who owes $ etc. but all of the=
 other financial stuff such as checkbook and other banking is=
 beyond them.  Why would I want to enter that financial info=
 twice?Because I want to have a REAL financial program handling=
 all my $ concerns including billing, accts receivable, invoicing=
 & whateve,  I KEEP THEM SEPARATE!
A typical usuage:
A new customer Mr. Jones calls.  I enter his info into Time &=
 Chaos' Telephone Book/All Contacts.  I can name as I want=
 numerous fields in T & C Telephone Book/Contacts such as Cross=
 Street, Directions, Piano Name, Serial Number, Referral,=
 Childrens Names, etc., but my Palm only shows the first 4 custom=
 fields so I need to put the most important info first.  I use=
 Cross Street, Directions, Piano Name, Serial #.  I can use the=
 Notes area for service records with Time Stamp, children's names=
 or whatever I think is important to know at the service call. =
 Now Mr. Jones & I decide on an appt.  I go through my calendar=
 and find  the appropriate day, drag his name from Telephone Book=
 into the appt. area for that day and up comes a edit box for=
 that appt. in which I set the time, duration and what ever else=
 I want to go in there.  Each appt. has a separate notes area for=
 info pertinent to that particular appt.   These and all notes do=
 show up in the Telephone Book.  On the day of that appt.,I will=
 sync with my Palm and all Mr. Jones info is available in shirt=
 pocket.  T & C syncs with Pocket PC so you could conceivably=
 also have a tuning device in your shirt pocket if you have a=
 Pocket PC!.  I use the Palm for time of appt., directions and=
 entering service info at the time of the appt.  I typically get=
 a check when finished.  I don't give a receipt unless asked and=
 use a generic receipt pad when necessary.  One less thing to do=
 and unnecessary except with customers I bill such as hotels,=
 restaurants.  At the time of appt. Mr. Jones & I decide to tune=
 again in 6 months.  I can set that future appt. in my Palm which=
 will come up in T & C after syncing or as I prefer I can make a=
 note of this and schedule a To Do in the future in T & C when I=
 get home.  The To Do will come into view on a specified date=
 telling me to call Mr. Jones.  At the end of the day I sync with=
 my computer and any changes from my Palm go into T & C.  The $=
 is entered into Quickbooks as a Sales Receipt and hand enter the=
 name and amount entered.
Now when I go back after a few years and look at Mr. Jones=
 service record, my notes are in T & C show with Day Stamp what=
 kind of service I did that day.  If Mr. Jones changes the appt.=
 it is as simple as dragging the appt. to another day and editing=
 the time as necessary.
Having said all this I will admit that a college technician=
 taking care of 100 pianos for one school might find this program=
 lacking for them.  An Excel spreadsheet might be better for=
 keeping track of numerous pianos for one customer.  You could=
 set up T & C using the Telephone Book/Contacts with each studio=
 or location of a piano in the Last Name field.
I think the typical self-employed piano tuner will find Time &=
 Chaos does all you really need.

David Ilvedson