Client database

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:36:22 -0500

Thanks David,
I did forward your last message on to her.  I think it will help her.
And I have explained to her the types of information (fields, etc.) we
need in a data base and why.  She had already made an attempt with
Access, but it was really strange, and we abandoned it until we could
get some advice (it was her idea for me to ask you guys what you were
using).  She had used ACT to create a client data base for her former
employer, where there had been no computer data base of customers
before she created it, so she is familiar with the use of data base
management.  But she wasn't crazy about ACT - it was just that it was
what her employer's product manufacturer used.

Yes, I am lucky that she is willing to try to help, and like you,
except for being willing to try to help with customer management, she's
pretty much not interested in what I do.  She's tried reading article
excerpts from the Journal and just can't find it interesting.  That's
ok.  I don't really get into what color needs to be in the curtains
that matches the walls that matches this little spot in the sofa, nor
can I tell much difference in two dresses when she says one is cute and
the other tacky.  Viva la difference!

But I am thankful that she is willing to try to help.  I loathe picking
up that phone to make customer contacts and she is willing to do that
for me, and learn how to handle calls that come in.  And we do realize
we will have to learn whatever program we use, and she has gotten
started doing that.  But when you've got a thousand other things going
on, getting ideas from others who have used the program can be a big
help in saving time with initial set up.  Like when she created the
data base for her former employer, they flew her to Birmingham for a
couple of days to learn how another dealer was using it.

I really do appreciate all the advice!
Jeff