Intro to piano technology for Master Class

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:50:51

Hi Horace,

The Atlantic Monthly is online here:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/theatlantic/

However there is no mention of Mr. Kuerti :(

Mr. Kuerti did write on the pianotech list serve back in 1996:

Date: 4/2/96 0:56

From: pianotech
I subscribed to this list a few weeks ago, am impressed by the way you are
helping each other.  I am sure that this type of interchange will be very
helpful for many of you.  However, I am going to unsubscribe at the end of
this week, for the volume of mail is prohibitive, especially as when I go
on tour (I am a concert pianist, for those of you who may not know my name) I
am often away for weeks at a time, and at the rate of about 12 messages a day
it would be hopeless to ever catch up.  However, I may subscribe again, and I
will stay on now long enough to read any responses that come in.  Although
as a temporary visitor among you I have no right to criticize, it seems to me
that there are a lot of superfluous messages and many are too long; I for
one detest seeing the original mail reproduced a second time and sometimes
more
often in a response.

As a pianist who has taken a serious interest in regulation and voicing,
and who considers himself - rightly or wrongly - to be almost unique as a
pianist capable of voicing and regulating at the highest standards (among many
others, Arrau, Rudolf Serkin, Richard Goode, and Claude Frank have
performed on my personal piano, voiced and regulated by me) I have a few
pet peeves that I
would like to share with you, errors in piano care that I find repeatedly
on my tours.

Almost half of the instruments I see have black keys that go too deep.
This creates a serious problem, for we must hit the keys very hard much of the
time.  If there is not enough space between the top of the white keys in
resting position and the top of the black keys when depressed, a solid
whack on a black key is likely to set the adjoining white key in motion.
Even if it does not move down far enough and fast enough to cause a wrong
note, it
feels precarious and threatening.  A good test is to put a dime (preferably
US,
as they are thicker) or even better a penny on the white key just in front of
the sharp, and pressing the sharp down firmly but not heavily, slide another
coin or flat object along the top of the sharp.  It must have enough space to
slide over the coin on the white key.  If it pushes the the coin away, the
sharps are going too low.  To correct this one can add front rail
punchings on
all the notes, but this will reduce the depth of touch, and perhaps leave
insufficient after-touch.  In most cases, it will be necessary to remove
the stack and put punchings under the black keys at the center rail, and then
place punchings on the front rail.  I have found that if you are consistent
in the thickness of punchings, it will not be necessary to level the keys
after this - in any case, one does not see or feel miniscule irregularities of
position on the sharps as you would on the white keys.

Another shortcoming I see all too frequently is keys which are too tight at
the balance rail.  I can assure you that this makes a huge difference in
fluency, speed, repetition etc.  When you lift a key from its normal
resting place, it should fall back into position promptly.  If it remains
elevated above key level it is too tight.  I find that in less than an hour
one can remove the keys and just gently twist a smooth round tool (the
straight end of a capstan driver, for example) to expand the hole in the
bottom of the key minutely - never of course abraising it or heaven forbid
actually removing any wood.  The tightness is at the very bottom of the
hole.  Lubricating the pins can help too, but is usually not sufficient by
itself.  Speaking of which, the front rail pins are something which are
often neglected; lubricating these occasionally is very important, and
crucial for glissandos.  Press some keys firmly to the right or left while
depressing them.  They should glide smoothly and easily despite the lateral
pressure.

After complaining about the length of mail, I see I am being very guilty
myself in this respect, and there will be no time to list many of my other
pet peeves.  So I will leave you with just three more very briefly: 1) Very
rarely do I find a piano on which the hammers have been properly fitted to the
strings.  Hardly anything is as important as this for a beautiful, even
sonority; it is even more important than voicing even, and should be done
before voicing, and if possible checked again after, as needling or filing
can throw it off once more.  Recently I worked on a piano which was dreadfully
uneven, but after fitting the hammers to the strings - they were allway off
- I only needed to needle 4 or 5 notes.  To check the fit, I use the middle
pedal to lift the damper of the indidual note clear of the string, and then
with my index finger press up under the elbow of the jack, and with the third
finger press the front of the jack gently to the left or right.  Then I pluck
the strings and note which if any continues to sing.  I prefer filing the high
part of the hammer to bending the string.

2) I find that more often the repetition springs are made far too strong.
(If you are interested I could elaborate on that).  And 3), quite often I find
that the damper stop rail is set too low with the result that when you use
the pedal, you lose some of your depth of touch, especially around the
break in
the bass.  Which reminds me of the lengthy interchanges about the damper on
F20.  This note almost never damps properly on Steinday D's beacuse of the
absurdity of design which puts just that one damper way out of line.  It is
certainly that string that is creating the partials that hang on, and I
have seen it successfully dealt with only by extending the damper felt at
the rear as far back as possible, so that it damps closer to where all the
other dampers do.

Thanks for your patience and I will now get off my soapbox!  I do appreciate
the dedication and competence of so many of you that I have worked with,
and hope that my comments will be accepted as more constructive than
offensive!!

Anton Kuerti

At 05:46 PM 2/29/2004 -0800, you wrote:

> Hi, Garret,
>
> At 03:22 PM 2/29/2004, you wrote:
> Horace,
>  I do not subscribe but would be interested if someone happens to have a
>copy to share.
>
>   The copies I have are in with my teaching materials, most of which have
>been in storage since about 1990.
>
>"" on Anton at this point raises over 4,500 entries...I had hoped to be
>able to find something more quickly so I could post a more accurate
>citation...sigh...too much information.
>
>   I'll see what else I can find.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Truly my pleasure - sorry I do not have anything more readily to hand.
>
> Best.
>
> Horace
>

> Garret

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca