detuning for the PTG tuning test

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:11:08 -0600

Terry,
	Yes, de-tuning is + and - 24 cents (alternately) in both octave 1 and
octave 7. (I agree it is extreme - one of the things I'd like to see
changed in the test, if only for the sake of the piano I give tests on). In
every area of the piano the detuning spec is 4 times the tolerance.
Tolerance is 6 cents in 8ves 1 and 7, less elsewhere (down to 1 cent in mid
range).
	What you need to know for scoring (ie, to find out what score you get and
whether you pass) is the multiplier for each section. These are:
Pitch: 10 x (ie, each 0.1 cent = 1 %. There is an initial tolerance of 1
cent. Hence, + or - 3 cents from A440 is a passing score - within 80 %)
	For the rest of the segments, I believe the RCT scoring program will give
you "points per error" (I have only used SAT for scoring tuning tests, and
that's what it does). It is possible for an error to exceed 1 point (if it
is twice or thrice the tolerance). The tolerance and point value is already
calculated by the machine for the rest of the sections, which are:
1) Temperament (octave of choice, commonly F3 to F4), 2.5 is the multiplier
(meaning 8 points is the maximum points off you can get and pass).
2) Mid-range (C3 to B4), 1.5% per point (note that this includes the
temperament octave - those notes are counted in both sections)
3) Bass (C1 - B2) one point = 1%
4) Treble (C5 - B6) same
5) High treble (C7 - B7) same
Stability and unisons are a bit complex in computation, but the bottom line
is that the tolerance is 1 cent, and the multiplier is high. Both are done
C3 - B4.
Good luck, and practice well!
Regards,
Fred Sturm