Celesta regulation

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 15:30:10 -0600

--On Monday, June 21, 2004 4:40 PM -0700 Doug Wood <dew2@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

> I just reread Steve Carver's article on celesta service, and there was
> just one item I was wondering about: how long does it take? Or perhaps I
> should ask what would be a reasonable guess as to the number of hours to
> set aside to regulate one of these that's gotten a bit ragged? Assuming
> no parts replacement.
>
> Anyone have experience here?
>
> Doug Wood

Hi Doug,
	I attended Steve's class, and he said 4 to 6 hours should be sufficient,
assuming you are not getting into repair and replacement activities. He was
talking about basic regulation: key level and dip; adjustment of
hammerblow/"let-off"(= "hammerstop"); damper lift from key; adjustment of
hammer and damper spring tension; damper lift from pedal. Together with
tightening action screws and general cleaning. Re-bushing keys and the like
would get into additional time, of course.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico