Baldwin ST Problem

Dafydd Llwyd Talcott 75711.1537@compuserve.com
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:15:08 -0400

Collective Wisdom--

Over the past few months I have been working on a friend's smallish
grand, a Baldwin model ST. The thing is in almost perfect physical
shape except for the strings, which were rusted and many broken.
I have two small questions for the group:

1.  When I questioned my mentor, a longtime local piano tech, about
installing
a Dampp-Chaser system, his instant response was "No way; not in this area!"
We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, whcih CAN be dampish, depending on
where you live. The Baldwin's strings were badly rusted, along with the
tuning
pins. Perhaps my buddy has only had trouble with the equipment, the
manufacturer,
or the installation procedure. I have no idea, and have had no experience
with
these popular systems. Any ideas or guidelines? (Incidentally, the piano
has since
been restrung.)

2.  The piano's owner tells me that another tech "rebuilt" the action, but
does not
remember exactly what was done. I've seen evidence of hammer sanding (fluff
still inside the action), and the keydip was apparently set too shallow
(according
to factory specs). I cannot see any evidence of hammers being replaced, but
after we reinstalled the action two or three of the top hammers were
hanging up.
They were so far in that the hammer heads were striking the damper rail!
To get them to clear I've had to move the action so far forward that the
adjustable
key blocks are at their limit and the key fronts are grazing the keyslip,
unless we
leave it loose.  This is bad.  I suppose what I should next do is measure
the strike
point for the upper two octaves or so and see wnere they should be, using
the 1/7
rule as a guide.   Is rehanging the hammers the only solution? And how
might this
condition have been created? I'm no neophyte but this really has me
puzzled.

Thanks for anyone's suggestions or observations.

Cheers,

Dave Talcott