WerkmeisterIII - Thanks

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:03:12 EDT

Jim writes:
<< > As a side note, several of our faculty now want this and other WTs on

> their pianos. (Especially those into composition, for some reason.)

> Maybe I've created a monster! :-)

>  >>

    You may be surprised at how attractive non-ET tunings can be to
musicians, but the attraction is a fact.  I see it all the time and it is one reason
that 80% of my clientele is using something other than ET.   Whereas many tuners
take evenness as the determining value of a tunings worth,  musicans often
pay attention to other things,  such as harmonic contrast and texture.  Many of
them are not offended by the slightly harsher intervals,  but they really fall
in love with the 7 or 8 cent thirds
   Numerous songwriters here in Nashville much prefer a non-ET tuning, now.
The added resources of variety seem to make them more engaged with the sounds
they are getting.  I said it about 7 years ago on this list; once they become
familiar with WT, they rarely go back to ET.   As we continue to offer
alternatives, the number of musicians that prefer them will grow.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT