stolen tools - security

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:08:04 -0600

Hi Barbara,
	I have reported this to the department administrator and chair (via email
- neither seems to be here today. It's that "summer lull" when it's hard to
tell who will be around when). I'll leave it to them exactly how they want
to handle it. I'm sure it will involve some notification of security and
physical plant. I'm not clear whether the maintenance staff is university
staff or out-sourced, and I don't know the details of how the
"self-insurance" program works (the U basically self-insures in tandem with
the state, and there is a pretty high deductible, and lots of red tape), so
I don't know exactly how to proceed. Hence I leave it in the hands of my
"higher-ups."
	As it happens, all but a couple of these tools belong to the university.
I've been diligently working to get the university to purchase all the
tools I need (I steer a couple hundred a year out of the parts budget in
that direction). I rarely leave any personal tools here overnight. I intend
to get to the point where I don't need to lug my personal tool case to the
university when I come. This theft sets that goal back a bit.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Friday, July 16, 2004 10:25 AM -0500 Barbara Richmond