stolen tools - security

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:54:02 -0600

Fred,

Of course no one ever steals anything here at BYU...

Just a heads up- At a school where I worked before BYU we had a lot of
stuff walk off. Come to find out that a custodian with a meth problem
was doing it. The reason I'm telling you this is she was the most
concerned/helpful of all of them. No one ever suspected her. After she
was finally busted and in prison she wrote letters to us apologizing for
all she did.

The obvious thing we did (here)to protect our tools is we put our ID #
on everything and made it very visible and hard to take off. We also put
another hidden one where we could. Stuff finally turned up at a pawn
shop.

Good luck,
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 9:09 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: stolen tools - security

Hi all,
	Having arrived this morning to find about $500 worth of tools
missing from
my "workshop" (a lovely, tiny, windowless practice room), I wonder what
steps others take to achieve relative security for valuables.
	FWIW, my own "security" consists of a locked door - which can be
unlocked
by the master key only - and the fact that the practice room area is
accessible only via a card-reader. Obvious suspicion focuses on
maintenance
personnel. I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of padlocked
cabinet
for tools, but would like to benefit from the experience of others.
Thanks,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico