hammer re-felting, and what's bugging me!

Don Mannino dmannino@kawaius.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:13:25 -0700

Mark,

If I may put my 2 loonies worth in here . . .

Points I would consider when deciding whether to refelt or replace parts;
- Hammer shanks get weak and soft with age.  This may not always be a bad
thing, but at some point they become too soft to support the hammers
properly, and the pianos looses it's fortissimo (Mamma Mia, the piano, shesa
losta her fortissimo!).  The shanks become too rubbery, and the hammers flex
around.
- When hammers are worn, knuckles are worn.  Yes, it varies some, but I
would want to at least replace the knuckle skin when recovering hammers.
The work and effort involved there might make shank replacement more
attractive.
- Action centers in practice room pianos also sometimes get sloppy, and
certainly rebushing is not an easy job to do really nice and firm and
consistent.  If you have worn bushings together with worn knuckles, it seems
to me that the new shanks are a no-brainer.
- You know, Wally offers pre-hung hammers also!  It's just a matter of
sending him samples and he will supply the replacements nicely hung on new
shanks for you!  That certainly is another option.

Personally, I enjoy drilling and hanging hammers.  But of course I don't
work in a college where so many sets are needed.

Don Mannino RPT