cost effective CAUT hammer renewal (was hammer re-felting,)

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:00:00 -0500

Thanks Don,

I always appreciate your opinion. (worth considerably more than two
loonies!)

Honestly, I'd never given thought to the durability of the wooden shanks
themselves. You didn't suggest a lifespan (years)for shanks from new, but
I'm guessing they should be good for several decades anyhow?

Regarding knuckles and pinning, I agree entirely. In fact, a concert
instrument is about the only piano where the knuckles/pinning "outlast" the
hammers (3 Years).

On most of our pianos, knuckles and pinning are beyond reconditioning long
before the hammers are replaced (7 - 15 years), and certainly need
replacement.

ABEL will replace the knuckles for 136 euros and re-bush/re-pin the shanks
for 105 euros. (I think the euro and US dollar are fairly close) Add about
195e for felt recovering for a total of 436 euros, plus/minus the currency
exchange, shipping and insurance.

Thanks for mentioning Wally Brooks, I think he offers a remarkable service,
not to mention, a wealth of knowledge. He will also select hammers for you
according to your target weights. I had, and am still considering ordering a
pre-hung set from Wally.

Here's the breakdwon:

Abel hammers, shanks & flanges: $599.00 US.
Boring, all trims (to weight) and installation; add $248.00 US for a total
of about $847.00 US.

On the 18 year-old C-7 in question, I would expect either the Abel
reconditioning or the Brooks "bolt-in" replacements to offer a "similar"
result, less of course Brook's weight customizations.

Both offer a distinct "flavor" option (as one may prefer, or not) when
compared with the factory    "ready-to-install" replacements. One at about
$450.00 plus, and the other around $850.00. (what does a set of Yamaha
pre-hungs run $US?)

The ultimate however, I would agree, is to do all the work "custom"
yourself.

Taking Wally's parts at about $600.00, from my records it takes me at least
one 1/2 day to prepare hammers & shanks (after jig set-up; Boring: (.5h)
Tail-length: (.5h)Coving: (.25h) Arcing:  (.25h - .5h) Tapering: (.5h)), and
another 1/2 day to install the hammers. After which is shank trim,
tail-shape refinement and travel, twist & space... some of which would be
required with the ready-to-install options listed above.

To be honest, during a normal work-week (interuptions and all), if I could
accomplish all of the above with 12 hours labor over a 2 or 3 day period, I
would be quite content (perhaps even surprised).

Everyone should calculate the "custom" option according to their individual
labor cost, though I suspect, (including materials) somewhere between 1.75
and 2 times the cost of the Brook's pre-hung option, and perhaps as much as
4 times the Abel "reconditioning" option. Nonetheless, it is often the best
option.

Sorry I've already gone on too long Don, so let me wrap up.

Regarding boring your own hammers; "agreed," it's just too much fun to give
up, and to this point I haven't had to.

My curiousity runs beyond my own shop however (being why I've typed all this
at a  blistering 9 or 10 wpm), and wonder how these options may effect
CAUT's in general.

Intuitive parts replacement is one of our essential and routine tasks. We
have a variety of instruments (and quantity as you've noted) with different
qualities and requirements.

If the "factory renewing" of parts (as offered by ABEL) turns out to be a
practical option, we would then have at least four distinct "tricks in the
bag" for hammer renewal; manufacturer's ready-to-install original,
after-market ready-to-install, after-market original component  renewal, and
all the varieties/permutations of custom "in-house" replacement.

Each of the options above (as demonstrated) has a distinct price increment,
and a distinct degree of technical involvement (labor/time).

I'm very excited about this "new" option, if it works out. Though In
reality, few pianos we have would get this treatment, but more likely,
something like this:

1962 L (teflon): "a full TW analysis and custom after-market parts
replacement for this one."

1988 B: "a new set of NY S&S hammers (unbored), shanks and flanges and a
custom installation for this one."

1991 C-3: "Abel factory re-felting, knuckles, bushings & pins for this
piano."

etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to chew on this with me, and your
insightful comments.

kind regards,

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University