Moving knuckles

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:43:55 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2004 7:53:39 PM Central Standard Time,
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu writes:
I have a situation here where instead of replacing shanks, I am going to use
the not-so-old shanks and move the knuckles out to 17mm. The knuckles are
really not all that worn so instead of band sawing them off I am thinking of
just pulling them off and moving them (if that diameter will work in the new
position). Then I'll glue in a piece of hardwood to fill the old slot and
cut a new slot. I'm thinking that I'd prefer routing out the new slot but
I'd like to hear some thoughts from others who have done this operation
before.

Thanks.

Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington U
Alan

I've never done this operation before, but if it were me, I would order a new
set of shanks with the knuckle where you want it. Unless you've done this
before, aligning shanks, getting the cut just right, even removing the old
knuckles cores, are each a potential problem as far as alignment is concerned. That
could make all your work even more problematic.

Just a thought.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Technician