Mason, reproducer

Rick.Florence@asu.edu Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:45:06 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Wimblees@aol.com:

I'm surprised the school would let you do the appraisal.  ASU claims that IRS
rules do not accept appraisals from anyone affiliated with either party.
Probably due to the practice of overestimating that Wim is suggesting.

Rick

That being said, I a
> In a message dated 7/20/2004 5:20:02 PM Central Standard Time,
> severanc@mail.wsu.edu writes:
> We recently had a small (less than 6' ) Mason Welte Reproducer with 200
>
> rolls donated to the Music school.  Everything is there but needs
> totally
> rebuilt, including the piano.  Does anyone want to give me a ballpark
> figure that I can give this fellow for his tax return?  I would guess
> the
> piano might bring $900.00 without the reproducer.  It's not a Mason &
> Hamlin, just a Mason.
>
> Dave Severance
> School of Music
> Washington State University
> Purely for tax purposes, on your private letterhead, (or get another
> tuner to
> do this), you can put a value of $15,000 for this piano This figure is
> based
> on the fact that a new "player piano," made by the same company (Mason &
>
> Hamlin), now sells for around $45,000, and this piano would be worth
> roughly
> one-third as much, given depreciation, etc.
>
> Please, don't tell me the piano isn't worth that much. I know it is.
> Rebuilding the reproducer alone is going to cost $7500, and to rebuild
> the piano will
> cost another $15,000. But as I said, this is for tax purposes. The IRS
> is not
> going to sell it, and they won't question the "official" documentation
> from a
> professional piano tuner, unless someone file a complaint.
>
> Wim

Rick Florence
Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music