Yamaha C3 regulation

Brad Smith brad@smithpiano.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:41:37 -0400

Hi Lance,
I had a similar experience with a 9 yr old Yamaha GH1.
I remember thinking that it felt as if the front rail felt punchings were
compacted, which made this unusually hard
landing.  Haven't seen that piano for several months, forgot about it until
yr post.

I am sure this will generate much discussion of the effects of let-off /
drop timing, etc.
Jack position in relation to knuckle core, and rep lever height, would be a
starting point.  It's easy to fake yourself out
by viewing the jack from the wrong angle.

At Yamaha performance piano training they mentioned setting your eyes "on
plane" with the back surface of the jack,
then using that vantage point, observe it's relationship to back of knuckle
core.

Also, try setting drop by feel in addition to sight.

Too much aftertouch can also create a 'cliff' which makes the bump seem more
abrupt.

Definite wall ??   Could you have some backchecks angled in to close,
catching hammers on the way up?

Brad Smith