Yamaha C3 regulation

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:21:13 EDT

In a message dated 7/27/2004 10:09:20 PM Central Standard Time,
madvinmryk@yahoo.com writes:
do the knuckle cores line up with the rear of the jacks in a straight line?
Also can you get the drop and let off to happen simultaneously?
Here is something I learned at the Steinway factory a couple of weeks ago. It
is an even a more refined regulation to have the two hitting at the same
time.

You start with the back of the jack in line with the back of the knuckle, and
you have to make sure the drop is adjusted right. But then you can go one
step further for an even better touch.

With the hammer lifted up and out of the way, when you push the key down, the
jack needs to move forward at the same time it comes up. This will assure the
jack and the drop screw are touching at the precisely the same time. If the
jack moves up, even as little as .1 mm, but not forward, you can see it. Adjust
the jack screw to move the jack further back. Eric told me that the little
extra the jack has to travel to get out from the under the knuckle is not as
critical as the jack tender hitting the button at the same time as the balancier
hitting the drop screw.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Technician