Yamaha C3 regulation

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:57:47 -0500

Lance:

If let-off is generous you can raise the drop a little to lessen=
 this effect.  Setting drop early compresses the spring and can=
 make this bump even harder.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@mail.smu.edu

From: llafargue <llafargue@charter.net>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Yamaha C3 regulation

List,
 I have a customer with a Yamaha C3 that=92s 4 years old.  It is=
 like new, very slight knuckle/hammer wear, but really good=
 shape.  I have regulated it and everything seems great except=
 that the let-off bump feel seems excessive and I can=92t figure=
 out why, on this C3.  I have lubed everything, knuckles with=
 Teflon, McLube to all key pins, whippen/jack tops, etc, but when=
 the jack lets off, you really feel it.  Also, when playing=
 pianissimo, at the point of let-off, there is a definite wall=
 that you hit and it actually prevents some notes from releasing.=
  I am wondering what aspects of regulation affect this.  Or is=
 there something else I am missing?  Let-off is about 1/8=94 to=
 1/16=94 graduated, drop a little more than that, checking is=
 close; rep springs are not too strong.  Knuckle and jack top=
 shape seem normal.  Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG