Agraffes on Bridge

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:03:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/2004 5:04:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
Wimblees@aol.com writes:

What I'm really asking is, is it worth it to replace bridges on Sohmer
grands, or should customers just accept what they have, and keep the piano  until
it "dies"?

Our business is unique in that very few do what we do, so the real lid on
our prices is usually what someone will spend to restore/rebuild a piano, not
what the guy down the street would charge.  This makes things a little more
difficult and at the same time gives us a little wiggle room.  I had an
interesting experience about 10 years ago.  I picked up a piano for  refinishing and
through talking to the former owner (who had sold the instrument  to my
customer) I got to see the rebuilding contract for the work done just a  couple of
years previous by a very reputable company in our area.  What a  shock!  They
charged this poor woman fully 3X what I would have charged  then, and still
today, 10 years later and my rates being significantly higher  now, nearly double
what I would charge to do the same work.  My lesson:  Don't be afraid to
charge what your worth.  Granted not every will be  willing to pay but you don't
need everybody.

This gets us to profitability.  As I said earlier I always  experiment on my
own pianos.  My goal is to develop fast and efficient  methods and to the
extent I develop these methods along with the appropriate  jigs, I will be
profitable.  I still must be able to do the work  inexpensively enough that people
will be willing to spend that much money. So to  the worthwhile question: Yes,
to musically, and a definite maybe to  profitability, it depends on methods and
jigs, and I am not sure I am there  yet.

Andrew