string breakage

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:43:20 -0500

>This is the high A (16 5/8") & A# (16 1/4") of this particular Autoharp.
>I've trying to use .020, and then went to .018.
>But both broke. I'll try .016.

He asked for the speaking length and the pitch, as well as the wire
diameter. The reason being to calculate the percentage of breaking strength
the wire is at when it's at pitch. Theoretically, a string of any given
diameter (within reason, and made of the same material), and of a given
length, will break at the same pitch. Yes, at the same pitch, whatever the
tension happens to be when it pops. Break% at a given pitch is determined
by the speaking length (and wire material), not the wire diameter, which is
why he asked for the speaking length as well as the pitch. In practice, the
smaller diameter wire will break at a little higher (but not much) pitch
because it is work hardened more (or at least the crystal structure of the
steel is changed more) by drawing to the smaller diameter. I'm assuming
these are carbon steel music wire. In any case, if you supply the
information that was requested, anyone who does string scaling could tell
you what your chances are of getting this to work.

Ron N