Steamer

llafargue llafargue@charter.net
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:02:20 -0500

Hey Ed, interested in revitalization of felt, especially hammers.  Is it
that they are hard and the steam swells them and adds resilience?  I
too, was concerned about moisture on strings.  Is the steam hot?  How
'bout oil?  Is it mineral oil?  How applied?  I've seen it on a couple
of Yamahas, but didn't know if it was factory, since I've seldom seen
it.
P.S.  Leaving for Nashville tomorrow if I don't respond.  Are you going?
Thanks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
985.72P.IANO
llafargue@charter.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Ed
Sutton
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 9:51 PM
To: College and University Technicians; caut@ptg.org
Subject: Steamer

Dear List-

Yesterday I purchased Singer Lazer Steamer for $49 at home Depot.
I'm delighted with it.
It looks like a big teapot with a downward pointing nozzle.  It squirts
jet of steam when you press a trigger button.
So far I've tried it for softening dampers,  reviving hammers, reviving
keybushings and back key rail cloth, all with good results.
I tested for removing key bushings and found it worked well on hide
glue,
but needed a little glue softener added to the bushing for white glue.
The great delight was cleaning a plate and soundboard.  It was the best
I've ever done at getting the dirt out between strings at the hitchpins.
I've used many home made steam shooters.  None come near the ease and
dependability of this gadjet.

Ed Sutton