Steamer

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:31:59 -0400

Hi, Lance-

Now and then on CAUT we have discussed light steaming of hammers and
keybushings to lift the string grooves and flattened bushing cloth, noting
that there seem to be two stages to wear: the first is flattening or
compressing, the second is pulverizing or grinding.  So, the theory is, if
you steam the practice room hammers and key bushings once a year, they will
play better and last longer.  On the keys, it's best to insert a sizing
caul or insert a hot sizing iron after steaming.

You go quickly; maybe 20 seconds to steam 88 hammers, 3 seconds in the key
bushing.  It will also help slightly loose balance pin holes.  (You can
also do this with a damp cloth and hammer iron, though not quite as fast.)

The Lazer Steamer jet is not as hot as what I get from a modified hot pot
(lid taped shut and short tube taped into the spout), but it is more
pressurized, and after the first squirt, rather dry.  It doesn't put any
more moisture on the plate than Q-tips and Murphy's oil soap, and because
it's hot, it dries quickly.  If you stayed in one place, you could build up
moisture, so you keep moving.

Although the hot pot was good for lots of things, it was dangerous - very
hot steam, and prone to splatter if tipped or moved too fast.

The Lazer steamer puts out enough pressure to blow off a damper if you get
too close, but with care it fluffs old dampers enough to make a difference.

So, as I keep saying, I think this contraption (Singer Lazer Steamer) has
many uses in a piano shop.  On the box they say it cleans just about
everything.

I'll let you know if I can make it tighten a loose tuning pin!

The oil was 3 in 1 oil, just a little squirt on a rag, then wipe all the
plain wires.  It's something I do after polishing off rusty strings.

Sorry, I won't be at Nashville.  I'll be at Quaker Gathering in
Massachusetts.  The home office shoulda checked with our schedule!

Ed