Gratuities

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:15:13 EST

In a message dated 3/1/04 9:12:17 AM Central Standard Time, atodd@UH.EDU
writes:
I haven't mentioned this on the list but a couple of weeks
ago, on a Sunday, I had to help move a harpsichord over to the
PBS station on campus for a performance/interview with a DMA
student. Then a little later in the week, it had to be moved
again for her recital which in this case, was held in a
Catholic church fairly close to the university.

She had a friend who furnished the vehicle, a Suburban,
but I still had to furnish the equipment, tuning, etc.
for the two moves. I guess I felt a little "put upon"
but I just agreed to it nicely (I hope) and did it.

Well, this morning I found a thank you card in my
mailbox with a nice note written and a rather large
denomination bill in it! Now, I almost feel guilty
about the way I felt. :-)
My feelings are, that we work for the university. Which means we work AT the
university. If I am called on to work "off campus," I would consider that more
or less private work, even if it is for the benefit of students and/or
faculty. And especially if it involves moving pianos, harpsichords, recording
equipment, etc. So I think you were entitled to the money. In fact, I would have
made sure there was not going to be any hard feelings, and let my policy be known
up front.

BTW, your situation would never happen here. There is a very strict policy
that the harpsichords and the pianoforte are not to be moved out of the
building, for any reason.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician