Gratuities

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:53:25 -0500

> In a message dated 3/1/04 9:12:17 AM Central Standard Time,=20
> atodd@UH.EDU writes:
> However, that being said, I still feel justified in one
> thing I told her, which is unfortunately way too common here.
> Way too many performers schedule recitals, etc. using a
> harpsichord without even checking first to see if it's
> available on the date needed. Plus they also rarely consider
> the logistics of getting everything done. I guess some just
> think that things like this just magically appear. :-) OK,
> I'm done venting now. And I really do appreciate the money! :-)

Hey Avery,
Are you implying that at a University School of Music you are not=20
accustomed to people scheduling recitals, competitions, auditions, and=20=

other piano requiring performances without checking on availability of=20=

the instruments or consulting with the tuner to let him/her know they=20
want a tuned instrument (let alone making sure there's time to get=20
whatever tuned)?  I wouldn't know what to do around here if someone=20
actually made plans with the piano tuner.  Piano tuners are magicians,=20=

capable of walking through the room and waving a wand.  Er.. ..pianos=20
don't go out of tune, do they?...  ...ya really think the piano's going=20=

to need to be tuned?, or my favorite, "can you just touch it up?"

Then, there's harpsichords/fortepianos.  "Just tune it on that side of=20=

the stage, and we'll move it over here for the performance."

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 03:15 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:=A0
> BTW, your situation would never happen here. There is a very strict=20
> policy that the harpsichords and the pianoforte are not to be moved=20
> out of the building, for any reason.=A0
> =A0
> Wim

Wim,
In just a few short years here, I've learned policy can be easily=20
changed, depending on which faculty person has the desire to break the=20=

policy, or if the budget gets tight enough that you'll resort to most=20
anything which will generate revenue.

BTW, I am thrilled to hear that your "consultant" situation worked out=20=

so well for you!  Way to go!

On a side note, Ah, this mild southern climate!  Friday morning we have=20=

snow, Saturday is a beautiful Spring day in the low 70s, for about the=20=

third time in the last 45 days.

Take care!
Jeff

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...